Submit your story
Articles on Opensource.com
Opensource.com takes article submissions and welcomes inquires about open source software, open source hardware, or open methodologies. Our mission is to tell the stories of how open source is being used at an organization or in a community.
We do not accept or publish articles about product releases or company promotions. We publish feature and news stories.
How to get started
If you think you have a great story to tell, experience to share, or advice to give on a topic, send an email to email@example.com. If your idea or submission is a good fit, we will move you forward through the editorial process to get your article published on Opensource.com.
2015 Editorial Calendar: a list of our monthly themes and weekly columns.
Guides for writers: our style guide, how to conduct an interview, and more.
Send us a message
If you are interested in getting the word out about your open source project, but have not yet written a story or article, let's get things started by sending us a message:
- Who are you? What do you do?
- If you are submitting this article idea on behalf of another person, please tell us who the author will be, and what he/she does.
- What is your project? Whom does it matter to? Why does it matter to them?
- Who is the audience for your proposed article?
- Please include a brief outline of what you will include in the article. (For example: How technical will it be? Is it a tutorial, or a report? We just need an idea of what your article will look like.)
- What is your contact info?
Submit your article
If you have a draft of your story or an article written, submit it for review:
- Read and adhere to our submission and style guide.
- Articles are typically between 500 - 1000 words, but other lengths will be considered.
- Include your Opensource.com account username (create an account here).
- Our editorial staff will review your submission and respond with next steps. We will provide copy editing services as well as revisions as needed. We strive to work with writers to create an article to best fit our readers and all changes are reviewed and approved by the author prior to publishing.
- When an article is ready for publication, it will typically be published within 2-3 weeks of the final revision.
Become a monthly contributor
If you have successfully published an article on Opensource.com, consider becoming a monthly contributor.
- Email your request to become a monthly contributor to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Include your username and the reasons why you would like to contribute montly and what topics you'd like to cover.
- The Opensource.com editorial team will contact you with next steps.
Community Moderator program
As an established monthly contributor, you may be eligible for to become a Community Moderator.