Thanks to our community members who provided feedback and bug reports on our commenting section. We are currently working to resolve these issues and improve the way comments are laid out. But before we make those changes, we wanted to open up the proposed fixes for your feedback.
Below is a mock-up highlighting the proposed changes. One thing that is not specified in the graphic is the (re)addition of role-based badges and special badges. Some of you may remember that we briefly had badges displayed in the comments section, but chose to remove them until we could improve their layout.
About the changes
- Removed 'new' from the headline of each comment. As we add more and more items, stuff like 'new' and color coding is visual clutter distracting from the content.
- Changed the headline from blue to black--the idea being it would be blue on rollover, just like the headlines on the homepage.
- Removed 'by' as it's well understood that the linked account name is the commenter. We looked at some other sites like Wired and this looks fairly standard.
- Moved the thumbs up/thumbs down to the bottom right corner near 'reply' with the idea being that replying and liking/disliking are the two actions a user can make on any comment.
- No green/red coding on the numbers next to thumbs up/thumbs down. The icons are enough to get across the point. We also reduced the size of the type to 10pts.
- No column wrap for the body of the content. Everything should line up with the headline, commenter name, and badges.
Hope this is the place to recommend web tweaks.
See this: http://i.imgur.com/qV4PL.png
As the title explains, I think the "thumbs" feature should be re-arranged.
- It messes with the comment formatting
- It's got its own visual glitches
I found a little bug when I voted a comment. It can be see here, http://rookery9.aviary.com.s3.amazonaws.com/6837000/6837342_5609.png
Please add any feedback in the comments below.
New mock-up added on March 2