Opensource.com's Community Moderator program
Community Moderator program
The Community Moderator program recognizes key Opensource.com contributors and advocates and provides them with a framework for contributing to and leading the Opensource.com community.
Before applying for the Community Moderator program, contributors should:
- Have a minimum of six published Opensource.com articles within a six month period; and
- Review site terms and conditions and publishing guidelines.
Community Moderator expectations
These are the expectations for participating in the Opensource.com Community Moderator program:
- A one-year commitment
- Quarterly quick 1:1 check-in with community manager
- Annual 1:1 evaluation to renew or complete commitment
- Contribute and curate content and invite new writers
- Help promote content on social media and syndication networks
- Moderate and contribute comments
Moderator goals and expectations include:
- Writing articles: Publishing original articles on timely topics.
- Community-building: Curating content from new writers is another way to contribute. Invite colleagues, students, and other open source community members to write for us. ("You have a great story to share. You should consider submitting a proposal to Opensource.com. I'll introduce you to the editors.")
Community Moderator goals
Community Moderators can meet their annual goals by completing a combination of the following:
- Publish at least one article or interview per month or 12 per year; or
- Curate at least one published article per month or 12 per year.
- Rad swag
- Access to a global publishing platform and international community of open source advocates
- Receive Community Moderator and Comment Gardener badges on your Opensource.com profile and comment moderation privileges
- Priority editing from Opensource.com editing team
- Vote in annual Moderator's Choice Award
- Access to Opensource.com Community Moderator email lists
- Inclusion on Meet the team page
- Expand professional and personal networks
- Invitation to an annual in-person Community Moderator meeting and All Things Open conference held in Raleigh, North Carolina. (Note: To qualify for consideration, minimum Community Moderator goals must be met at least 12 weeks prior to scheduled meeting.)
Exiting the Community Moderator program:
Although we request a 1-year commitment when joining the moderator program, we understand that moderators may need to exit the program early if their situations change or they are unable to meet the program expectations. Please notify the Opensource.com community management team if you need to suspend or end participation early.
Quarterly 1:1 meetings are a chance to revisit program expectations and decide whether the moderator program is still a right fit for individual participants. Upon exiting the program:
- Participants will be added to the Community Moderator Alumni section of the Meet the team page.
- Former moderators can re-apply to the program after 6 months; the minimum requirements listed above must still be met.
If you are interested in becoming a monthly contributor or would like to be considered for a Community Moderator role, contact the Opensource.com team. Not sure whether you're a good fit? Let us know and we'll answer your questions and help mentor you!