Top 10 posts from Opensource.com in January 2014 | Opensource.com
Top 10 posts from Opensource.com in January 2014
Opensource.com is off to a strong start to the year with a record month in January bringing in 299,171 page views and 192,599 unique visits. We also ran two brand new series: Youth in Open Source Week and Women in Open Source Week. This themed-content attracted new authors to our publication and allowed us to publish a record 60 articles in one month. These stories were gathered from developers, designers, community managers, and more in the open source community who may not have considered sharing their story before, but were encouraged to do so because of our focus on "youth" and "women" in open source. Stay tuned for more themed-content from us throughout the year.
A big thank you to our community of readers in January for sending in story ideas, open source events, and for sharing our content on social media, with colleagues, as well as with kids, students, and peers who are new to open source and the open source way.
Top 10 articles on Opensource.com in January 2014
- Top 5 open source project management tools in 2014 by Robin Muilwijk (Community Moderator)—(18,548 page views)
- Poll: Which version of Linux do you use? by Opensource.com (Red Hat)—(10,309 page views)
- Four Linux distros for kids by Aseem Sharma (Community Moderator)—(8,534 page views)
- The rise of Drupal and the fall of closed source by Jared Whitehead—(7,668 page views)
- Open source educational tools for 2014 by Nicole C. Engard (Community Moderator)—(3,509 page views)
- How to get involved with open source in 2014 by Jason Baker (Red Hat)—(3,136 page views)
- What open source means to a young programmer by Dylan Katz—(2,681 page views)
- Four projects for parents to teach their kids about open hardware and electronics by Dave Neary (Red Hat)—(2,605 page views)
- 3D printing could herald the Age of Open Source Stuff by Brian Reale—(2,541 page views)
- Where to start: Upgrading your school system to open source by Gregg Ferrie—(2,511 page views)
Here are a few of our favorite articles from last month.
- For Community Manager Appreciation Day 2014, we asked 14 open source community managers for some advice. They answered: What's the best thing about being an open source community manager?
- If you're a maker or interested in the things makers are making around the world, don't miss the Maker Manifesto or a review of the Printrbot 3D printer.
- Are you interested in how open source is more than just code? GitHub co-founder Scott Chacon tells us about a future beyond code.
- Great advice is hard to come by. Here are some leadership tidbits from five Joomla! project leaders.
- A look at how the Italian government is promoting the use of open source software.
- What is open source? page—11,240 page views
- Opensource.com homepage—27,901 page views
Thanks for reading and for another great month on Opensource.com!