Official Rules: Great Command Line Challenge Contest
The Great Command Line Challenge Contest 2015
- Eligibility. The Great Command Line Challenge Contest 2015 ("Contest") is open to legal residents of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Canada (excluding Quebec), France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, and the United States who are of the age of majority in their jurisdiction of legal residence at the time of entry and who are registered users of opensource.com. Employees and contractors of Red Hat, Inc. and each of its respective affiliated companies, subsidiaries, advertising or promotions agencies, and other agents, and their immediate families and those living in their households are not eligible to enter. If you are entering as part of a company or on behalf of your employer, these rules are binding on you, individually, and/or your employer. If you are acting within the scope of your employment, as an employee, contractor, or agent of another party, you warrant that such party has full knowledge of your actions and has consented thereto, including your potential receipt of a Prize. You further warrant that your actions do not violate your employer's or company's policies and procedures. Government employees and contractors are not eligible to enter.
- Entry. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. The Contest begins on July 7, 2015 at 8:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) and ends on July 31, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. EDT ("Contest Term"). To enter the Contest, read the trivia question at the end of the article located at https://opensource.com/life/15/7/pipe-dreams (“Article”) and send an email with your answer to email@example.com ("Entry").
- LIMIT ONE (1) ENTRY PER PERSON. Subsequent entries will be disqualified. Only eligible Entries actually received by Sponsor within the Promotional Period will be considered. Use of automated entries or programs or entries submitted by third parties is prohibited and such entries will be disqualified. Sponsor will not be responsible for Entries that are in whole or part illegible, incomplete, damaged, altered, counterfeit, manipulated or obtained through fraud or lost, late, misdirected, mutilated, incomplete, or illegible entries, or for any computer related, online, telephonic, or technical malfunctions that may occur whether or not within Sponsor's control and such Entries are void. In the event of a dispute, an Entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the owner of the opensource.com account from which the Entry was submitted. For these purposes, an email address holder shall mean the natural person assigned to such email account by the Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with such email account. Any questions regarding the number of Entries submitted or the owner of an email account shall be determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion, and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Entries by persons determined to be tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Promotion. Normal Internet, phone and usage charges imposed by your online or phone service may apply. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any Entry not in compliance with these Official Rules.
- Winner Selection and Judging. After the close of the Contest Term, the author of the Article will conduct one (1) round of judging to select three (3) Winners from the pool of eligible Entries. One Winner will be selected for each of the following criteria: first correct answer; shortest correct answer; and most creative answer. Each potential winner will be notified via email or about August 15, 2015 ("Prize Notification"). If a potential winner does not respond within two (2) days after the first attempt to contact him/her, or if the Prize Notification is returned as undeliverable, that potential winner will be deemed to have forfeited the Prize, and Sponsor will select an alternate potential winner in his/her place at random from all remaining eligible Entries until the Prize has been awarded. Winning the Prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth in these Official Rules. Noncompliance with the foregoing, failure to abide by these Official Rules, or return of the prize notification as non-deliverable may result in disqualification and naming of an alternate potential winner.
- Prizes and Odds. Each Winner will receive one (1) Opensource.com branded T-shirt (“Prize”) with an Approximate Retail Value ("ARV") of $14. The total ARV of all Prizes awarded is $42. No substitution, cash substitution, or assignment or transfer of the Prize is permitted, except by Sponsor for reason of unavailability, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded. The Prize consists of only those items specifically listed above as part of the Prize. Sponsor will deliver Prize to Winners via standard postal mail approximately 2–3 weeks after Winners are notified. Sponsor will not replace Prize if lost or stolen. Prizes are awarded without warranty of any kind from Sponsor, express or implied, without limitation, except where this would be contrary to federal, state, provincial, or local laws or regulations. Expenses not specifically stated above, including travel expenses, together with the reporting and payment of all applicable taxes, fees, duties, and/or surcharges, if any, arising out of, or resulting from, acceptance or use of the Prize, are the sole responsibility of the Winner. Restrictions, conditions, and limitations apply. Any trademarks associated with the Prizes awarded under this Contest are registered or unregistered trademarks of their owners, who are not affiliated nor have endorsed this Contest. Prizes awarded under this Contest may be subject to restrictions and licenses from its manufacturers and may require additional hardware, software, service, or maintenance to use. The Winners shall bear all responsibility for use of the Prize in compliance with the conditions imposed by the manufacturer, and any additional costs associated with its use, service, or maintenance. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible Entries received and the skill of the Participants.
- Condition of Participation. By entering the Contest, you agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and you confirm that you meet all eligibility requirements listed herein. You agree that all federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations apply. By registering for the Contest, you agree that these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. Except where prohibited by law, a Winner's acceptance of a Prize constitutes permission for the Sponsor and its agencies to use the Winner's Entry, name and/or likeness for advertising and promotional purposes, in any media now known or hereafter devised, without further notice, compensation, consideration, review, or consent, and without regard to moral rights. To the extent permitted by law, all Participants of the Contest agree to hold Sponsor, its respective directors, officers, employees and assigns harmless for any injury or damage caused or claimed to be caused by participation in the Contest and/or use or acceptance of the Prize. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest, or announcement of the Prize. If, in Sponsor's opinion, there is any suspected or actual evidence of electronic or non-electronic tampering with any portion of the Contest, or if technical difficulties compromise the integrity of the Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Any attempt to deliberately damage the content or operation of this Contest is unlawful and subject to legal action by Sponsor or its agents. You may be prohibited from participating in this Contest if Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reasonably believes that you have attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices, or have annoyed, abused, threatened, or harassed any other Participants, Sponsor, or associated agencies. In the event a potential winner's employer has a policy that prohibits the awarding of a prize to an employee, the Prize will be forfeited.
- Compromise of the Contest. In the event the Contest is not capable of running as planned as the result of bugs, virus, non-authorized human intervention, tampering, technical failures, fraud, or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor that corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper operation of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, suspend, modify or terminate the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, Sponsor reserves the right to award the Prize based on the entries received before the termination date.
- Limitations of Liability. By entering the Contest, Participant agrees that (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action, and Participant waives his or her right to a jury trial for such disputes, claims, and causes of action; (2) any claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will any Participant be permitted to obtain any award for, and Participant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than damages for actual out-of-pocket expenses. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; or theft, destruction of, alteration or unauthorized access to Contest Entries. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest, or in the announcement of the Winners.
- General Release. By entering the Contest, Participant releases and holds harmless Sponsor, any other Contest sponsors, and each of their respective affiliated companies, directors, officers, employees, representatives, partners and agents from any liability whatsoever for any claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Contest or with the acceptance, possession or use of any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light).
- Sponsor. Red Hat, Inc., located at 100 East Davie Street, Raleigh, NC 27601, USA, is the sponsor of the Contest.
- Governing Law. The Contest is subject to all federal, state, and local laws. The Contest and Official Rules are governed and interpreted by the laws of the State of North Carolina (U.S.), without regard to its conflict of law provisions.
- Official Rules / List of Winners: Sponsor will post the Official Rules and Winners List at opensource.com/life/15/8/winners-announced-great-command-line-challenge.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter