Open source resources
New to open source? Opensource.com wants to help. Browse our collection of resources so you can learn more about the open source way, locate projects or applications that embrace it, or attend events that celebrate it.
Know another open resource? Share it with us today.
Frequently asked questions
- What is open source?
- What is open government?
- What is open education?
- What is open science?
- What is open gaming?
- What is open access?
- What is open hardware?
- What is Linux?
- What is OpenStack?
- What is Docker?
- What is big data?
- What is an Arduino?
- What is Raspberry Pi?
- What is software defined networking?
- What are microservices?
- What is the Internet of Things?
Open source how-to guides and tutorials
- How to get started in open source
- How to become an open source contributor
- How to contribute to open source projects (without writing code)
- How to license your open source project
- How to set up a free and open source environment on your computer
- How to build an open source community
- How to promote your open source project
- How to submit your presentation to an open source conference
- How to transition to an open source business model
- How to adopt open source software in your business
- How to get started in civic hacking
- How to organize a CityCamp unconference
- How to get your city to pass an open government policy
- How to build an open data initiative for your city
- How to contribute to OpenStack
- How to edit video the open source way
- How to write a book using Linux
- How to create an eBook the open source way
- How to organize an educational hackathon
- How to teach hacking in high school
- How to get your class involved in an open source community
- How to learn the M programming language
- How to introduce open source to your public library
- How to manage passwords the open source way
- How to use open source software to print in 3D