Opensource.com Caption Contest 2013
1. Eligibility. The Opensource.com Caption Contest 2013 ("Contest") is open to legal residents of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Canada (excluding Quebec), France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, and the United States who are of the age of majority in their jurisdiction of legal residence at the time of entry and who are registered users of opensource.com (“Participant”). Employees, officers, and directors of Red Hat, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliated companies, Red Hat partners, distributors, system integrators and independent software vendors, and their immediate families and those living in their households are not eligible to enter. Government employees and contractors are not eligible to enter.
If you are entering as part of a company or on behalf of your employer, these rules are binding on you, individually, and/or your employer. If you are acting within the scope of your employment, as an employee, contractor, or agent of another party, you warrant that such party has full knowledge of your actions and has consented thereto, including your potential receipt of a Prize. You further warrant that your actions do not violate your employer's or company's policies and procedures
2. Entry. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. The Contest begins on July 23, 2013 at 5:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) and ends on August 1, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. EDT ("Contest Term"). To enter the Contest, visit https://opensource.com/2013-caption-contest (“Website”) during the Contest Term, come up with a caption for the image located on the Website, and submit your caption in the “Comment now” section below the image (“Entry”). You are not required to answer any optional questions or agree to receive future emails from Sponsor to be eligible for entry in the Contest.
LIMIT TEN (10) ENTRIES PER PERSON. Subsequent entries will be disqualified. All Entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned or acknowledged. Entries are void if they are in whole or part illegible, incomplete, damaged, altered, counterfeit, manipulated or obtained through fraud. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, mutilated, incomplete, or illegible entries or email, or for any computer related, online, telephonic, or technical malfunctions that may occur, regardless of whether or not such occurrences are within Sponsor's control.
3. Judging. There will be two (2) rounds of judging.
A panel of judges consisting of members of the open source community will select the top ten (10) captions from among the eligible Entries received during the Contest Term. On or about August 5, 2013 at 3:00 p.m. EDT, the judges will host a Live Google Hangout (which will be embedded at https://opensource.com/2013-caption-contest for public viewing). During the Hangout the judges will announce which Participants’ captions have been selected (Finalists).
The Finalists’ captions will be posted as a reader poll on opensource.com, and all registered users of opensource.com will be able to log in and cast their votes for their favorite caption (“Poll”). The Poll will be open on or about August 5, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. EDT to August 8, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
The Finalist who receives the most votes during the Second Round will be deemed the Grand Prize Winner. Prizes will also be given to the Finalists receiving next four (4) highest number of votes during the Second Round. The Finalist receiving the highest number of votes, the Finalist receiving the second highest number of votes (Second Prize Winner), the Finalist receiving the third highest number of votes (Third Prize Winner), the Finalist receiving the fourth highest number of votes (Fourth Prize Winner), and the Finalist receiving the fifth highest number of votes (Fifth Prize Winner) are collectively referred to herein as the “Winners.” The names of the Winners will be posted on August 9, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. EDT on the Website, and Winners will also be notified via email at the email address they used to register for Opensource.com (“notification email”). Each Winner must reply to the notification email and provide his or her mailing address. If a Winner does not reply within seven (7) days after the first attempt to contact him/her, or if the notification email is returned as undeliverable, that Winner will be deemed to have forfeited the Prize.
4. Prizes. The Grand Prize Winner will receive one (1) credit for ebooks from O’Reilly Media with an Approximate Retail Value ("ARV") of $500 USD. The Second Prize Winner will receive one (1) pass to LinuxCon/CloudOpen with an ARV of $575 USD. The Third Prize Winner will receive one (1) pass to LinuxCon/CloudOpen with an ARV of $575 USD. The Fourth Prize Winner will receive one (1) adafruit.com kit to make a solar MintyBoost with an ARV of $60 USD. The Fifth Prize Winner will receive one (1) one-year subscription to Make magazine with an ARV of $35 USD]. The total ARV of all prizes awarded is $1,745 USD.
No substitution, cash substitution, or assignment or transfer of the Prize is permitted, except by Sponsor for reason of unavailability, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded. The Prize consists of only those items specifically listed above as part of the Prize. Prize is awarded without warranty of any kind from Sponsor, express or implied, without limitation, except where this would be contrary to federal, state, provincial, or local laws or regulations. Expenses not specifically stated above, including travel expenses, together with the reporting and payment of all applicable taxes, fees, duties, and/or surcharges, if any, arising out of, or resulting from, acceptance or use of the Prize, are the sole responsibility of the Winner. Restrictions, conditions, and limitations apply.
Any trademarks associated with the Prize awarded under this Contest are registered or unregistered trademarks of their owners, who are not affiliated nor have endorsed this Contest. Prize awarded under this Contest may be subject to restrictions and licenses from its manufacturers and may require additional hardware, software, service, or maintenance to use. The Winner shall bear all responsibility for use of the Prize in compliance with the conditions imposed by the manufacturer, and any additional costs associated with its use, service, or maintenance. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible Entries received and the skill of the Participants.
5. Condition of Participation. By entering the Contest, you agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and you confirm that you meet all eligibility requirements listed herein. You agree that all federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations apply. By registering for the Contest, you agree that these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest.
Except where prohibited by law, the Winner's acceptance of the Prize constitutes permission for the Sponsor and its agencies to use the Winner's Entry, name and/or likeness for advertising and promotional purposes, in any media now known or hereafter devised, without further notice, compensation, consideration, review, or consent, and without regard to moral rights.
To the extent permitted by law, all Participants of the Contest agree to hold Sponsor, its respective directors, officers, employees and assigns harmless for any injury or damage caused or claimed to be caused by participation in the Contest and/or use or acceptance of the Prize. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest, or announcement of the Prize. If, in Sponsor's opinion, there is any suspected or actual evidence of electronic or non-electronic tampering with any portion of the Contest, or if technical difficulties compromise the integrity of the Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Any attempt to deliberately damage the content or operation of this Contest is unlawful and subject to legal action by Sponsor or its agents. You may be prohibited from participating in this Contest if Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reasonably believes that you have attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices, or have annoyed, abused, threatened, or harassed any other Participants, Sponsor, or associated agencies. In the event a potential winner's employer has a policy that prohibits the awarding of a prize to an employee, the Prize will be forfeited.
6. Compromise of the Contest. In the event the Contest is not capable of running as planned as the result of bugs, virus, non-authorized human intervention, tampering, technical failures, fraud, or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor that corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper operation of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, suspend, modify or terminate the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, Sponsor reserves the right to award the Prize based on the entries received before the termination date.
7. Limitations of Liability. By entering the Contest, Participant agrees that (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action, and Participant waives his or her right to a jury trial for such disputes, claims, and causes of action; (2) any claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will any Participant be permitted to obtain any award for, and Participant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than damages for actual out-of-pocket expenses. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; or theft, destruction of, alteration or unauthorized access to Contest Entries. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest, or in the announcement of the Winner.
8. General Release. By entering the Contest, Participant releases and holds harmless Sponsor, any other Contest sponsors, and each of their respective affiliated companies, directors, officers, employees, representatives, partners and agents from any liability whatsoever for any claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Contest or with the acceptance, possession or use of any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light).
10. Sponsor. Red Hat, Inc., located at 100 East Davie Street, Raleigh, NC 27601, USA, is the sponsor of the Contest.
11. Governing Law. This Contest is subject to all federal, state, provincial, and local laws. This Contest and Official Rules are governed and interpreted by the laws of Australia, without regard to its conflict of law provisions.
12. Official Rules / List of Winners
A copy of these Official Rules and Winners’ names will be posted at https://opensource.com/2013-caption-contest-rules on August 9, 2013, and will remain on the Website for approximately six (6) months after the Winners are selected.