Robin Price II

Authored Comments


Very good article. I have enjoyed every one you have put out so far. Thanks again for a great read.

While I agree with almost everything you put into this article, I can't help but feel I am a bad person for owning an iPhone. 90% of the daily activities I do in my life revolve around opensource. The other 10%, to me, is me using flash, nvidia proprietary drivers (if needed), Windows to play my favorite games, etc... Does that make me any less of a fan of opensource? Of course not! Do I promote this to my family and friends when I get a chance? Sure I do!

But for my use and for what I do, I find it perfectly fine. I know for a fact a lot of opensource die hards use proprietary applications in their daily life. For instance, I know a lot of people who use Windows to play their favorite games but promote opensource full time. Does that make them any less of a candidate for promoting the opensource gospel? I don't think so. At the moment that is how I feel with the iPhone. I enjoy using it and the feature it has. Fedora 13 works beautifully with it now. I do hate having to use iTunes but I get by with what I need using it.

When my contract ends or I absolutely need to get off the iPhone, I will in a heartbeat, but for now it does what I need and it does it very well. I have to admit, the new opensource phones coming out are stunning and I can't wait to see what the future holds for them. There is no doubt in my mind they will smash the iPhone market share.

To quote our leader in Linux:

“Anybody who tells me I can’t use a program because it’s not open source, go suck on rms. I’m not interested. 99% of that I run tends to be open source, but that’s _my_ choice, dammit.”
-Linus Torvalds

Thanks again for a great article!


I owned an iPhone before there was any decent choice. I think the only choice I had was a blackberry at the time? That's one of the major reasons. I almost got one of the Google phones before I made my iPhone choice (tkep can back me up since I came to him) but the device just wasn't there yet.