Welcome to Opensource.com's look at what's happening in the world of OpenStack, the open source cloud infrastructure project. Starting next week, we're going to transition to a monthly format for our OpenStack news roundup. But never fear, OpenStackers, we'll be filling April with an in-depth look at the upcoming OpenStack Summit in Boston, MA. Let us know what's on your mind and which talks you hope we'll preview.
OpenStack around the web
From news sites to developer blogs, there's a lot being written about OpenStack every week. Here are a few highlights.
- Pay it forward: Sign up for speed mentoring at the OpenStack Summit Boston.
- Getting to know the essential OpenStack components better: A look at the core projects you need to know.
- The journey of a new OpenStack service in RDO: How projects make it from source to packaged release.
- InfraRed: Deploying and testing OpenStack just made easier.
- Making your OpenStack monitoring stack highly available using open source tools: A stack of tools you should be familiar with.
- Moving OpenStack beyond borders (and possibly to Mars): Processing exabytes of data for NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
OpenStack is developed out in the open, and many of the conversations shaping development can be found on the OpenStack developers mailing list. Here's a sample of some of the popular threads this past week.
- Project navigator updates: A draft is ready to share for community feedback.
- Ironic translations removal: Logged messages should no longer be translated.
- What name to use for Magnum commands in OSC: How should the OpenStack Client handle Magnum commands?
- Moving Gnocchi out: Gnocchi's use cases outside OpenStack prompt move.
- Last call for leadership training April 11-13: One more opportunity to participate.
Meetups and OpenStack user group events are taking place across the globe, and chances are, there's an event near you. Have a suggestion for an event to add to this list? Email us and let us know, or add it to our events calendar.
- Operating OpenStack: Monday, March 27; Manchester, UK.
- Things learned from operating OpenStack: Tuesday, March 28; Mexico City, Mexico.
- State of OpenStack: Wednesday, March 29; Ottawa, ON.
- OpenStack for architects: Wednesday, March 29; Dulles, VA.
- OpenStack Hungary: Thursday, March 30; Budapest, Hungary.
In addition to these in-person events, if you're interested in following OpenStack development, a number of projects hold regular meetings on IRC.