Get the highlights in your inbox every week.
This month in OpenStack: April 2017
Summit preparations, Technical Committee elections, and more OpenStack news
Here's what happening in the world of OpenStack this month, April 2017.
Welcome to Opensource.com's monthly look at what's happening in the world of OpenStack, the open source cloud infrastructure project. We bring together a collection of news, events, and happenings from the developer listserv all in one handy package. Do you have a suggestion for something for us to include next month? Let us know in the comments below
OpenStack news and happenings
There's a lot being written about OpenStack. Here are a few highlights.
- 5 OpenStack user sessions you can't miss at the Boston Summit: One of the best ways to get a perspective on what OpenStack can do is to listen to use cases of how others are succeeding with their own open source clouds.
- My journey as an OpenStack PTL: A story of how one developer learned to become an effective team leader of an open source project within OpenStack.
- OpenStack becomes a powerful tool for telcos seeking scalable cloud solutions: How OpenStack's story expanded into network functions virtualization and software-defined networking.
- Creature or feature? Here’s the story behind your favorite OpenStack project mascot: Many OpenStack projects now have a friendly animal mascot to help brand the project and represent its identity to the world.
- How to organize an OpenStack Operators Meetup: Chances are, you're not the only one working with OpenStack in your area. Here are some handy tips for organizing an operators' meetup.
OpenStack is developed out in the open, and many of the conversations shaping development can be found on the OpenStack developers mailing list. Here's a sample of some of the popular recent threads.
- Tagging Mitaka as EOL: A proposal to end-of-life tag several projects meeting specific criteria.
- Voting for the TC Election is now open: Eligible OpenStack community members can now vote to elect technical leadership.
- Questions for candidates: A few questions for candidates running for the Technical Committee.
- Nova-network deprecation in Horizon: Saying goodbye to a now-superseded part of OpenStack.
- Technical Committee vision draft: Building a vision for a common view towards the future.
Meetups and OpenStack user group events are taking place across the globe, and chances are, there's an event near you. Have a suggestion for an event to add to this list? Email us and let us know, or add it to our events calendar. This is a partial list; you can look for more events near you on Meetup or the OpenStack community events listing.
- April 18: OpenStack Hungary April.
- April 19: OpenStack and containers, better together.
- April 20: First OpenStack meetup in Belarus.
- April 20: OpenStack 101.
- April 24: Running and managing Kubernetes on OpenStack.
- April 25: April London OpenStack meetup.
- April 26: Kubernetes+OpenStack 101.
- April 27: OpenStack L.A. April meetup.
- April 29: OpenStack Peru.
- May 3: OpenStack and Ansible.
- May 8-11: OpenStack Summit.
In addition to these in-person events, if you're interested in following OpenStack development, a number of projects hold regular meetings on IRC.