Join the 85,000 open source advocates who receive our giveaway alerts and article roundups.
This week in OpenStack: July 28 - August 3
Last call for OpenStack Summit speakers, Juno security updates, and more
Get the newsletter
Interested in keeping track of what's happening in the open source cloud? Opensource.com is your source for what's happening right now in OpenStack, the open source cloud infrastructure project.
OpenStack around the web
There's a lot of interesting stuff being written about OpenStack. Here's a sampling:
- November Summit in Paris call for speakers: Today, July 28, is the last day to submit your talk.
- OpenStack creates a structure for managing change without a benevolent dictator: Can education and peer review keep a huge open source project on track?
- How to effectively contribute to an open source project such as OpenStack Neutron: It's not just about committing code; being a good communicator matter too.
- Juno updates – security: A quick summary of security-related work across several OpenStack projects.
- DBaaS, OpenStack and Trove 101: An introduction to the basics of databases in the OpenStack cloud.
And just for fun:
- OpenStack reactions: My reaction when someone nitpicks on my reviews.
Here's a sample of some of the most active discussions this week on the OpenStack developers' listserv. For a more in-depth look, why not dive in yourself?
- Thoughts on the patch test failure rate and moving forward: What is being done to improve the continuous integration system and prevent bugs?
- [Nova][Spec freeze exception] Controlled shutdown of GuestOS: Giving a guest operating system a better chance to shut down properly to prevent corruption of data.
- Mentor program: Does OpenStack need a formal program of mentorship to shepherd in new contributors?
- [Neutron] Specs approved for Juno-3 and exceptions: How to handle the volume of medium and high priority specifications in the queue.
- [Glance][Trove] Metadata catalog: Can Glance and Trove share code for a metadata catalog to avoid reinventing the wheel?
It's time for OpenStack's 4th birthday party. See a longer list of local parties here.
- Weekly community office hours: July 29, 2014; #openstack-community channel on Freenode
- RDO weekly community meeting: July 29, 2014; #RDO channel on Freenode
- OpenStack 4th anniversary party: July 29, 2014; Berlin, Germany
- OpenStack 4th birthday party: July 29, 2014; Nairobi, Kenya
- OpenStack 4th birthday celebration: July 30, 2014; San Francisco, CA
- OpenStack 4th birthday party: July 31, 2014; Pasadena, CA
- Weekly community office hours: August 1, 2014; #openstack-community channel on Freenode
- OpenStack miniconf at PyCon Australia: August 1–5, 2014; Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Interested in the OpenStack project development meetings? A complete list of these meetings' regular schedules is available here.
A special thanks to Stefano Maffulli for the OpenStack Community Weekly Newsletter, available under a Creative Commons 3.0 License, for linking us to some of these stories and events.