This week in OpenStack: August 11 - 17
A fresh look at OpenStack, empowering tech startups, and more
Interested in keeping track of what's happening in the open source cloud? Opensource.com is your source for what's happening right now in OpenStack, the open source cloud infrastructure project.
OpenStack around the web
There's a lot of interesting stuff being written about OpenStack. Here's a sampling:
- A fresh look at OpenStack: LinuxInsider looks at the commercial and community growth of OpenStack.
- How do companies do OpenStack: A collection of best practices from the businesses contributing to OpenStack.
- The OpenStack Architecture Design book authors speak: Meet the writers of the new guide to OpenStack architecture design.
- Kili empowers tech startups in East Africa with inexpensive public cloud: A user story of how OpenStack is providing a strongly desirable alternative to closed source cloud options.
- Four ways OpenStack improves enterprise IT: How to drive transformation while still leveraging your existing assets.
- OpenStack reactions: Just for fun—How to take over a review of someone else by messing with the Change-ID
Here's a sample of some of the most active discussions this week on the OpenStack developers' listserv. For a more in-depth look, why not dive in yourself?
- The future of the integrated release: How does the OpenStack community address the production challenges of managing releases across a growing number of projects of increasing complexity?
- Application for a new OpenStack program: Performance and scalability: Is there a need to create a top-level program around OpenStack operations tooling?
- [Neutron] Group Based Policy and the way forward: Is Group Based Policy API the kind of experimentation we be should attempting?
- Supporting development in local branches: A different way to think about branching and merging.
- [Oslo] A proposal for DB read/write separation: Can OpenStack be optimized by separating read and write activities?
- Weekly community office hours: August 12, 2014; #openstack-community channel on Freenode
- RDO weekly community meeting: August 12, 2014; #RDO channel on Freenode
- Swift 2.0 released—now with storage policies: August 12, 2014; Google+ Hangout
- Serviceability, Swift, and OpenStack: August 14, 2014; Boston, MA
- San Francisco/Silicon Valley OpenStack Meetup: August 14, 2014; Palo Alto, CA
- Weekly community office hours: August 15, 2014; #openstack-community channel on Freenode
Interested in the OpenStack project development meetings? A complete list of these meetings' regular schedules is available here.
A special thanks to Stefano Maffulli for the OpenStack Community Weekly Newsletter, available under a Creative Commons 3.0 License, for linking us to some of these stories and events.