Get the highlights in your inbox every week.
This week in OpenStack: July 13 - 19
Docker Machine with OpenStack, Cinder's incremental backup explained, and more OpenStack news
Interested in keeping track of what's happening in the open source cloud? Opensource.com is your source for news in OpenStack, the open source cloud infrastructure project.
OpenStack around the web
There's a lot of interesting stuff being written about OpenStack. Here's a sampling:
- Up and running with Docker Machine and OpenStack: Getting your cloud tools to cooperate.
- Inside Cinder’s incremental backup: What's going on under the hood?
- Nearly one-third of all IT infrastructure spending now devoted to cloud: The number will only continue to grow.
- Third OpenStack CEE Day grows by 35 percent: The event in the Central and Eastern Europe region for open source cloud software is gaining steam.
- Former NASA tech chief takes startups under his wing: OpenStack veteran shares lessons learned at Nebula.
- Is OpenStack ready for prime time: Yes, with the right planning and vendor support.
- Red Hat's approach to OpenStack adoption: LightReading interviews Radhesh Balakrishnan.
- Everything you know about OpenStack is wrong: The future of IT infrastructure delivery.
Here's a sample of some of the most active discussions this week on the OpenStack developers' listserv. For a more in-depth look, why not dive in yourself?
- Networking-foo projects and release management in the Neutron Stadium: Moving release management tasks into alignment with other Neutron libraries.
- Plethora of dbase migration questions: Can you help answer any of these?
- Modifying existing dashboards with plugins: How best to make changes to the Horizon dashboard.
- OpenStack Meiji (明治): Our next release name has been selected.
- Rescinding the M name decision: Why Meiji didn't work out.
- Should project name be uppercase or lowercase: It depends on context.
Cloud & OpenStack events
In lieu of normal meetups, many OpenStack user groups are hosting OpenStack birthday parties to celebrate the five year anniversary of the project. Here's a list of projects, and we hope there's one near you. Did we miss something? Email us and let us know, or add it to our events calendar.
- Tel Aviv, Israel: Monday, July 13.
- Rome, Italy: Tuesday, July 14.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina: Wednesday, July 15.
- Sydney, Australia: Wednesday, July 15.
- New York, NY: Wednesday, July 15.
- Vancouver, BC: Thursday, July 16.
- Philadelphia, PA: Thursday, July 16.
- Denver, CO: Thursday, July 16.
- Budapest, Hungary: Thursday, July 16.
- Zürich, Switzerland: Friday, July 17.
Interested in the OpenStack project development meetings? A complete list of these meetings' regular schedules is available here.