Get the highlights in your inbox every week.
This week in OpenStack: October 31 - November 6, 2016
A look back at OpenStack Summit Barcelona
Are you interested in keeping track of what is happening in the open source cloud? Opensource.com is your source for news in OpenStack, the open source cloud infrastructure project. This week, we take a look back at the OpenStack Summit in Barcelona and some of the news, announcements, and observations from the event.
- OpenStack revenue to hit $5 billion by 2020: Information from 451 Research doubles the size of the OpenStack marketplace in the next four years.
- Explaining OpenStack with wacky analogies: Understand OpenStack with the help of animated GIFs.
- A maturing OpenStack looks to the future: What many conversations at the OpenStack Summit in Barcelona can tell us.
- Where OpenStack cloud is today and where it's going tomorrow: The challenges OpenStack still must overcome and what awaits if it does.
- OpenStack goes inside atoms, across galaxy: How OpenStack is powering CERN's cloud needs for scientific computing big and small.
- 8 highlights from OpenStack Summit: Quick takeaways from announcements on day one of the summit.
- App development said to propel OpenStack: OpenStack's success is all about making it easier to create cloud-native applications.
- OpenStack gains ground in enterprise: Key findings from recent research, including who is adopting the open source cloud platform.
- Swisscom, UKCloud adopt Red Hat OpenStack Platform: What two enterprises considered when choosing an OpenStack cloud distribution.
- OpenStack Security Project aims to protect the open source cloud: New tools emerge to make OpenStack safer for users and operators.
- OpenStack building the cloud for the next 50 years (and beyond): A video interview on where OpenStack has been and where it's headed.
- OpenStack Foundation welcomes four new gold members from China and Europe: OpenStack continues to grow its international presence.
- You can run the same programs on 16 different OpenStack clouds: A massive interoperability demo shows how easy it can be to migrate your application on OpenStack.
- Forrester: OpenStack, AWS are today's cloud 'safe bets': While there are still many competitors, two cloud standards have floated to the top.
OpenStack Summit interviews
Just prior to the big event in Barcelona, we interviewed several of the speakers and participants who helped make the event possible. In case you missed it, here are some of the great conversations we covered.
- How OpenStack mentoring breaks down cultural barriers: Learn how the OpenStack community is working to create meaningful internships and mentor opportunities to bring a diversity of new contributors to the project in this interview with Victoria Martinez de la Cruz.
- Using metrics effectively in OpenStack development: The OpenStack Foundation Ecosystem Technical Lead, Ildikó Váncsa, explains how OpenStack metrics can be used in software develop.
- Tips for contributing to a complex and large project like OpenStack: Emily Wilson, a QA Engineer, talks about her first year working in the OpenStack community.
- How OpenStack keeps its summits safe and welcoming: Lauren Sell of the OpenStack Foundation brings us up to speed on the code of conduct updates the OpenStack community recently enacted.
- How a healthy developer conference budget can provide a big ROI for organizations: Emily Hugenbruch explains the benefits of sending developers to conferences, and what to expect in the transition to open source.
- Lessons learned as an OpenStack Day organizer: Sharone Zitzman of Gigaspaces and Frank Days of Tesora explain best practices for organizing local OpenStack events around the globe.
- Recognizing active user contributors to OpenStack: Learn from Maish Saidel-Keesing how the OpenStack community is working to find better ways to recognize those users who give back in ways other than code.
- How to succeed as a remote documentation contributor in OpenStack: In this interview, Alexandra Settle shares a look at her talk at OpenStack Summit Barcelona on remote work in open source.
- OpenStackFin meetup: Wednesday, November 2; Helsinki, Finland.
- OpenStack basics and showcase: Wednesday, November 2; Athens, Greece.
- OpenStack open SDN: Thursday, November 3; Amersfoort, Netherlands.
- Monthly South Florida OpenStack user group meeting: Thursday, November 3; Weston, FL.
- OpenStack meetup: Thursday, November 3; Prague, Czech Republic.
- OpenStack Dach Day 2016: Saturday, November 5; Berlin, Germany.
If you're interested in OpenStack development, and wish to attend project development meetings, a complete list of these meetings' regular schedules is available here.