This week in OpenStack: August 1 - 7, 2016
A look ahead to OpenStack Newton, Pico, Questa, and beyond
Are you interested in keeping track of what is happening in the open source cloud? Opensource.com is your source for news in OpenStack, the open source cloud infrastructure project.
OpenStack around the web
There is a lot of interesting stuff being written about OpenStack. Here's a sampling from some of our favorites:
- OpenStack Newton release: What's next for Heat, Keystone and Kuryr?
- OpenStack Pico and Questa set to debut in 2017 and 2018: The next releases of OpenStack have received their official names.
- How connection tracking in Open vSwitch helps OpenStack performance: A look at simplifying virtual network interfaces in OpenStack.
- Scaling OpenStack Magnum and Kubernetes: 2 million requests per second.
- 4 new guides for OpenStack developers and administrators: Several great tutorials for those learning new parts of OpenStack.
- How large open source projects can develop for security: OpenStack celebrates earning the Core Infrastructure Initiative (CII) Best Practices Badge.
- 5 tools to support distributed sysadmin teams: How the OpenStack infrastructure team collaborates.
Here's a sample of some of the most active discussions this week on the OpenStack developers' listserv. For a more in-depth look, why not dive in yourself?
- Select our project mascot/logo: How the Magnum team will represent their project.
- Next steps for proxy API deprecation: Nova moves from an old API.
- Nomination period started: Starting the process of moving the Requirements project to a stand-alone project.
- Retirement of openstack/cloud-init repository: Moving the repo to a new location.
For an even more in-depth look back at the developer email list, check out Mike Perez's digest of the OpenStack Developer Mailing List (not updated weekly) or Hugh Blemings' Last week on OpenStack Dev.
Cloud & OpenStack events
- Taming your relational and non-relational databases with OpenStack Trove: Wednesday, August 3; Richardson, TX.
- South Florida OpenStack users group: Thursday, August 4; Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Automating in the OpenStack cloud in Auckland: Thursday, August 4; Wellington, New Zealand.
- OpenStack containers as a service: Thursday, August 4; Austin, TX.
- OpenStack Wrocław meetup: Thursday, August 4; Wroclaw, Poland.
Interested in the OpenStack project development meetings? A complete list of these meetings' regular schedules is available here.