A series on beginners stories and guides for getting started in open source
Beginners in Open Source Week
Opensource.com will publish articles focused on where beginners can start in open source from February 17 - 28. These stories will include accounts of first time experiences working for an open source company, working on open source software, and building open source apps. Plus, find useful tips for how you can get your newbie friends into open source.
Opensource.com's Beginners in Open Source Week
This image will be located in the body of articles that are part of this series. And, check back to this page for an updated list of all published articles in the series. For new article alerts and Twitter commentary, follow #ossnewbie.
Articles published in this series:
- Open source alternatives for small businesses by Aseem Sharma
- How to contribute to OpenStack by Rich Bowen
- Get started in open source online and offline by Robin Muilwijk
- Building an open source community by Mihai Guiman
- 5 ways open source is transforming tech in 2014 by Eren Niazi
- Making the case for the non-techie to jump into Linux by Maricelle Thomas
- How to get started in civic hacking by Andrew Hyder
- Who helps your Linux distribution run smoothly? Thank a packager today by Luis Ibanez
- With greater permissions, comes greater responsibility by Heiko Rupp
- May open source be with you by Cory Hillard
- Consuming open source software: How to use and buy it by The Outercurve Foundation
- What's the best Linux desktop environment for me? by Meine
- How to teach hacking in school and open up education by Pete Herzog
- Get more contributors to your project with better documentation by Amye Scavarda
- Open source tools to build your best business by Nabeel Hussain
- Things newcomers to open source rarely ask but often wonder by Shauna Gordon-McKeon
- A beginners guide to understanding OpenStack by Jason Hibbets
- 12 videos to you get started with open source software by Michael Harrison
Past articles and resources for beginners in open source:
- What is open source?
- Which open source software license should I use?
- How to get involved with open source in 2014
- Open source internships make great career starters
- Four Linux distros for kids