Eclipse with JSDT
Eclipse is not well known for speed; it's relatively slow compared to other IDEs or text editors; however, it has matured over the years and speed won't be an issue for current development machines with a great deal of processing power.
Some key features of Eclipse with JSDT are:
- It offers proper syntax highlighting
- It has autocompletion
- It supports JSDoc element generation
- It has flow analysis
- It has refactoring
Atom is a 21st-century hackable text editor that is made for developers who love to customize their text editor. It easily crosses the line of a simple text editor and can be considered an IDE. You can change everything that Atom has to offer by tweaking the config file.
The installation is simple—download, install, and code. To make development easier, Atom comes with a package manager that you can use to install different packages to extend and enhance its features.
If you are a front-end developer and want to make the most out of Atom, you need to install these packages and plugins. Some of the notable Atom plugins that you can use to improve your coding experience are Atom Beautify, Atom TernJS, Auto-update packages, Autocomplete modules, Editor Config, DocBlocker, etc.
Some of Atom's key features:
- It comes with autocompletion
- It offers multiple work panes
- It supports cross-platform (i.e., it works on Linux, Windows, and OS X)
Some key features of Brackets:
- It offers live preview
- It works great with Adobe products
- It supports SCSS and LESS
- It supports indentation, autocomplete, and other important code writing, editing, and compiling features
Visual Studio Code
Visual Studio Code is the new kid on the block. It is open source and is built for building cloud and web applications. Visual Studio Code can be seen as an alternative to Visual Studio. Developers who are interested in getting started quickly can use Visual Studio Code, but they won’t get the extensive set of features offered by Visual Studio.
Some key features of Visual Studio Code are:
- It supports IntelliSense
- It offers automatic type acquisition
- It configures easily
- It offers debugging on both client and server side
- It supports snippets