Careers in Open Source Week features professionals' tips and lessons learned in the field | Opensource.com
Careers in Open Source Week features professionals' tips and lessons learned in the field
Last week, we published articles from eight young professionals in open source—they are interns, students, and fellows working on open source projects and for teams that are part of open source businesses.
This week, we'll publish articles from open source professionals who have been working in the field for a significant portion of their careers or who have at some point in thier careers worked on an open project.
Do you have a job in open source? Would you like to tell us a little bit about what you do? Get an account and tell us in the comments.
Read this series
- The future of scientific discovery relies on open by Marcus Hanwell, an interview with Ross Mounce of the University of Bath on scientific research in the open.
- How to think like open source pioneer Michael Tiemann by Bryan Brehrenshausen, an interview with Michael Tiemann of Red Hat on open source's past, present, and future.
- Everyone's your partner in open source by Nicole Engard on her experience working for ByWater Solutions and with Koha communities, an open source library system.
- 4 lessons from the trenches of community management by Jason Hibbets on what it's like to be the community manager at Opensource.com.
- From bench scientist to open science software developer by Marcus Hanwell on his journey from the sidelines to the frontlines of science discovery and research that matters.
- Does having open source experience on your resume really matter? by Aseem Sharma on the critical role software plays in today's economy.
- We cannot do modern science unless it's open by Peter Murray-Rust of the Blue Obelisk community gives an exclusive at the past, present, and future of open science.
- Want a fulfilling IT career? Learn Linux by Shawn Powers gives tips on how to get a job in Linux.
- Everyday I help libraries make the switch to open source by Kyle Hall on his job with ByWater Solutions, helping libraries upgrade to open source with Koha.
- Upgrading libraries to open source Koha system by Nicole Engard, an interview with Melissa Lefebvre on her jobs as an operations manager for ByWater Solutions, implementing Koha in libraries.
From the archives
Get tips, lessons, and experiences working in open source from some of this year's contributors:
- 7 skills to land your open source dream job by Jason Hibbets
- Want an IT job? Learn OpenStack by Jason Baker
- Teens and their first job: How to get on the path to a happy career by Jim Whitehurst