Year-in-Review: Life hot topics on Opensource.com | Opensource.com
Year-in-Review: Life hot topics on Opensource.com
This year was a great one for seeing open source affect new and exciting aspects of our lives. We saw open source reach from science to gadgets, from music to gaming, and much more. Here are some of our favorites from the Life channel in 2013.
2013 may have been the year when access to scientific knowledge reached its tipping point. Open source has definitely found its way into the research process, and many scientists found new ways this year to create and share their research using the open source way.
- Science finds a better foundation for research in the open
- Crowdfunded science exhibit encourages duplication
- A neuro-hacker tells us why opening up scientific research is critical
Earlier this month we asked what open source gadget is at the top of your holiday wishlist? We covered a lot of hardware news this year, but these fantastic gadgets were at the top of our list and made their way to our holiday gift guide.
- LulzBot's 3D printer and open biz model
- Young maker says Raspberry Pi is way to go
- Arduino and the (tinker) light workshop
In February we asked if 2013 would finally be the year of Linux gaming. Not only has it been a phenomenal year for gaming on Linux, it’s been a year of progress for open gaming across all sorts of platforms, including tabletops!
- Gabe Newell talks about Linux as the future of gaming; teases "Steam Box" hardware
- Steam client finally available to all Linux users (with a game sale!)
- Tabletop games and the thousand-year game design challenge
In August Michael Tiemann asked "can there be open source music?" This year we've shown that not only is the answer a resounding "yes," but that there are great options across genres for both musicians and listeners to get involved in open source.
- Kickstarting open source music and doubling the number of scores for the blind
- Four reasons we need open source beat making software
- Does lyric-sharing contribute to a more open music industry?
Top 10 open life articles in 2013
An open life doesn’t always fall into neat categories. Here are the top ten most read articles from the Life channel on Opensource.com this past year. Did your favorite article make the cut? Let us know in the comments!
- How to create an eBook the open source way
- Top 20 open source gifts for the holidays
- Afraid someone will steal your idea?
- Open source summer reading list
- Pidora: The Raspberry Pi Fedora remix
- 10 ways to start contributing to open source
- Learning to program, the open source way
- How to write your book using Linux
- 3D printing an open source electric car
- Find an open source RSS reader today
Thanks to everyone who helped make 2013 a spectacular year for the Opensource.com Life channel. See you in 2014!